Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 8, 2014

A Day for Soft-Hackle Flies

Left to Right:  Ruffed Grouse, Spruce Grouse and Bufflehead

It started today when I went to the freezer to get an early lunch.  I opened the door and scanned the contents for anything edible.  Then, my eyes stopped… fixed upon a bag stuffed with wings and tails of upland game birds shot this past fall.  My appetite became second thought.  Ruffed grouse, spruce grouse, and bufflehead feathers all waited patiently in a deep freeze for a chance to be born again, to come back to life and catch a trout.  I reached for the bag, dusted off loose frost, and walked it over to the table.  There, I opened it and curiously inspected the contents, carefully pulling apart wings frozen together.  I began to remember each bird and the day of the harvest.  I examined the plumage.  Next, my eyes panned to the fly tying bench.  And then I went to the fridge, opened the door, and scanned the contents for something agreeable to wet the palette with.  My eyes found something quite delightful.  The next move was easy; I happily reached in for a locally brewed Northern Porter.

It was all starting to make sense now.  A London style Northern Porter made locally; along with, all the feathers one needs for tying traditional soft-hackle fly patterns dating back to 1400s Northern England… and "harvested" locally.  These went together way too well.  At this point, I had both in hand; and, an idea was about to hatch from the association between items.  "Cool, I'm going to tie soft-hackles today", I thought.   The traditional soft-hackle flies known as "North Country" flies in the UK were now on their way to creation Prairie Wood Angler-style from birds harvested in the North Country of northern Minnesota.

Here are a few of the patterns I tied today.  Each one representing a species of game bird harvested this past fall in Northern Minnesota.

Ruffed Grouse and Peacock
Ruffed Grouse and Peacock
Hook:  Size 14 or 16
Thread:  8/0 Black
Tag:  Gold Wire
Body:  Peacock Herl
Ribbing:  Gold Wire
Hackle:  Ruffed Grouse
Head:  Black thread
Note:  I could see fishing this anytime, and just might go for it over a Prince Nymph someday.


Spruce Grouse and Yellow

Spruce Grouse and Yellow
Hook:  Size 14 or 16
Thread:  6/0 Yellow
Body:  Yellow Silk
Thorax:  Hare's Ear Dubbin
Hackle:  Spruce Grouse Hen (wing underside)
Head:  Hare's Ear Dubbin
Note:  This would be killer during a PMD / Sulphur hatch.


Bufflehead and Orange
Bufflehead and Orange
Hook:  Size 14 or 16
Thread:  6/0 Black
Body:  Orange Silk
Thorax:  Peacock Herl or Black Hare's Ear Dubbin
Hackle:  Bufflehead Drake (naturally black)
Head:  Black Thread
Note:  Little Black Stones… need I say more.

I agree with most positive things written about soft-hackle flies.  Their simplicity, elegance, and bugginess are second to none.  Their tradition takes you back to the very early days of fly fishing.  And the ability to tie them from local game bird species make these patterns all the more fun.  Furthermore, combinations of body and hackle seem limitless to the imagination.  There is definitely a space in my fly box for these patterns and I'm giddy to give them a try this season.

Cheers!


P.S. Here's a few soft-hackle links:

   

No comments:

Post a Comment