Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Winter Steelheading Slovenian Style - Hucho on Fly

My first fishing trip to Slovenia didn't go so well... I arrived just days after the biblical flood hit in 2007. Fishing was out of the question as the country was rebuilding, digging out from landslides, and removing car after car from trout streams and rivers (I've heard of log jams at bridges but never "car jams").   I headed for high ground and went mountain climbing instead--sadly, the waders and 4-piece had to hang out in my luggage for the trip (but I did summit the highest peak in the Julian Alps!).  

The second trip to Slovenia a couple of years later was strictly for mountaineering... so no fishing.  

And, the last trip I made a few months ago combined mountaineering, scouting trout streams, and visiting cousins in my great-grandfather's home town. A fond memory of that third trip was sitting quietly on the bank of an alpine creek watching a single brown rise in rhythm to a late season hatch of little yellow stones. At this point I decided I must return with fly rod.  

The forth trip to Slovenia will have to be the charm... after watching this need I say more. The only question... winter Hucho (Danubian Salmon) or summer Marble Trout and Adriatic Grayling?




No comments:

Post a Comment