Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Buffalo Soldier

The recent 8 inches of snow is melting rapidly... and there was a brief period today to get out and beta test some new flies before the spring rains arrive later today.  I didn't know what to expect on today's outing and had no expectation other than conducting a carp recon mission.  However, when I arrived at my spot after a squishy hike in I noticed the stream in good condition.  I didn't spot any fish and started out blind casting.  Confidence was low and the depression of a late spring had me down.  Then, mid-drift, my line jumped and I strip-striked.... bottom.  I thought.  When the snag released my fly came back with a quarter sized scale on it.  Yes!!! The fish are here!  The recon-, cabin fever-, whatever-you-want-to-call-it- mission just got serious.  Then, I started to see the fish.  The snowmelt and light rain was bringing them in good.  The stream had as many anadromous roughfish in it as the Alaskan streams I used to fish had humpies and chums.  Winter is officially over.

Some truly monsterous buffalo were finning midstream.  The run was loaded with them.  And as the day went on the carp began to supplement them... then, outnumber them.  Pike where stacked up in the margins.  The stream set-up was a beautiful sight.

I cast with renewed hope and expectation.  My technical casting and line management kicked in now there was something to play for.  Each cast landing on the seams.  And then, the first fish took the beta "peacock carp comet" I whipped up last weekend.  Fish on!   After a bulldog fight the first fish came to the stream bank.  A beautiful, native, bigmouth buffalo.



The new "peacock carp comet" has been validated.  But, as any roughfisher knows these are the smartest fish that swim.  Do you think I'd get another on the same fly?  Hell no!  After casting fruitlessly after that I got nothing; and, the biggest of buffalo and carp would simply fin away.  So, I cut off the "peacock carp comet" and switched to my other prototype fly... the "black death carp comet".

Two casts into it this beauty rose off the bottom and smacked the fly moments after it landed on the water.  The take was insanely aggressive.





Again, understanding that these truly are the smartest fish that swim (if you don't believe me take a look at that carp's eye... pure intelligence there in that pupil) do you think I would catch another on the same fly?  Well, I hooked one but it was a small carp that came off streamside... the whole experience of that was rather lame since I was watching some ducks zooming up the stream and happened to notice my fly stopped.  After the spit hook, I continued to cast the "black death carp comet" to no avail.  So, I cut it off and put on a "gold-bead sparrow nymph".  Time to get real.

First cast with that one and wham-o!  Another nice broad shouldered fella for the 8wt.  Damn, these fish are so smart and cool on the fly!

I've caught a fair amount of carp with the hook stuck just outside the mouth.  I 'm convinced this happens when setting the hook right as the fish ejects the fly.


First thought after this last fish would be to change flies.  But, the "sparrow" looked too dang good in the water and the last take was sooo dang aggressive to abandon.  Plus, this carp took the first cast!  Can't give up on it now, I thought.  And, a few casts later Mr. Buffalo decided to join in....



I have to say the buffalo is high up on the coolness scale.  These things look like permit when they're hooked and finning.  Their fin structure when you're fighting them is so cool.  And then, when you get them ashore... you see their light colored bodies with black fins (tails reminiscent of those on a fresh run Alaskan coho!) combined with the demonic look of black eyes.  Dang.  I am completely sold on buffalo.

The significant rains started to come down at this point and the rain gear was getting its workout.  The more the rain fell the more fish trickled into the run I was fishing.  The fish were starting to lose that "hotness" they had earlier.  But, I stuck with the sparrow.  Nothing was swinging on retrieves anymore.  So, I decided to dead drift the nymph pattern through the fish and deal with the frequent snags.  Shortly after, this guy rooted up the sparrow nymph on its drift and offered yet another fantastic fight in the current.


What a wonderful fish to end the day on, I thought.  These broad shouldered native beauties offered respectable fight and used their shoulders and shape perfectly in the current.  Even this smaller buffalo was every bit worthy of the 8 wt.

Roughfish on the fly got off to a great start today.  The prototypes have been fish-proven; and, I have some tying to do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment